Friday, August 13, 2010

Rayovac Sportsman Extreme LED Lantern


I've been wanting a LED lantern for quite a while. Several weekends ago I was up in the mountains with my family having a pick-nick in the evening and when it got dark I propped my flashlight up so it was shining into a plastic shopping bag to diffuse the light as I had done several times before. It really doesn't work that well. That's when I decided "I really need to get a lantern!!!". So I spent quite a while reading reviews and looking at all kinds of lanterns and nothing came even close to comparing with the Rayovac SE3DLN Sportsman Extreme 300-Lumen 3D-Battery LED Lantern. It uses three D batteries and it is surprisingly pretty small at just over 7 inches tall and 3.5 inches wide. I use 6 AA NiMH batteries in 3 AA to D adapters. This lantern puts out a lot of light and has a well designed diffuser for even lighting. It almost puts out as much light as a 40 watt bulb. It will light up a room at night with a pretty comfortable level, similar to having a lamp on. At only $25 this was a real bargain. The reviews on Amazon give it five full stars. I doubt you could find a better LED lantern than this for any price. Rayovac also has a smaller lantern that uses three AA batteries, but it is only 70 lumens instead of 300 lumens.

1 comment:

  1. I recently modded my lantern by adding a small solar panel to the top to keep the NiMH batteries topped off. NiMH will self discharge over time so this should keep it in a ready to go state without always having to charge the batteries before every use. I just leave it by the window while not in use.

    ReplyDelete